Last week was humid. Lumabas ka lang ng airconditioned na room at tiyak na papawisan ka ng sobra. Add the high humidity to temperature reaching 50 degrees at talagang para kang nasa Sauna Bath.
I went out of the house for a short jog at around 8PM last Thursday para pawisan at matanggal kahit papaano ang epekto ng lunch namin na heavy talaga. I feasted on chicken, deviating from my usual fish, vegetable and fruits fare at pakiramdam ko ay bloated ako. Pagbalik ko from 5 rounds in the 3 blocks area malapit sa tirahan ko, Omar, our car washer-house cleaner-errand man-bantay was cleaning my car. He greeted me and apologized for not having cleaned my car for 4 days. Sabi niya sa akin ay nagkasakit siya dahil sa sobrang init, idagdag pa na on fasting siya dahil Ramadan. Nagcollapse daw siya 5 days ago due to heat exhaustion. Naglilinis siya ng kotse mga 8AM ng nakaramdam siya ng hilo at bumagsak na nga siya. He was diagnosed to be hypertensive at pinagiingat siya sa init.
Then, a friend, a Manager in one Engineering Company here also collapsed and was hospitalized for 3 days. He was then sent home and after nga na makausap ko si Omar, pagpasok ko ng bahay, ibinalita ng kasamahan ko namatay na sa Pinas ang Manager na binabanggit ko.
Sobrang init talaga kaya nga very informative ang nabasa kong tips to avoid heat stroke.
- Don’t overexert yourself.
- Drink a quart of fluids an hour.
- Wear loose clothing light in color and fabric, as well as a hat and sunblock, and stay in the shade or indoors if possible.
- Open windows and use fans, or turn on air conditioning. If you don’t have air conditioning, go to a public place that does, like a mall, library, or movie theater.
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol, which can speed up dehydration.
- Finally, be a good friend – check on your colleagues, co-workers and friends regularly to make sure they’re bearing up under the heat.
Sa ganitong init, di rin advisable sa mga lalake ang lumabas ng nakashorts.
Baka maging hard boiled eggs.
“It’s hot here at night, lonely, black and quiet. On a hot summer night. Don’t be afraid of the world we made. On a hot summer night. It’s hot in the city, hot in the city, tonight.” – Billy Idol